• LinkedIn
  • Join Us on Google Plus!
  • Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

KitchenArt 80070 Elite Auto-Measure Spice Professional,

October 22, 2019 // by Admin // // No comments

KitchenArt 80070 Elite Auto-Measure Spice Professional, Satin

KitchenArt 80070 Elite Auto-Measure Spice Professional, Satin

I have had one of these carousels for 10 years, and stacked a second one nine years ago.
They work great, save a lot of space in my kitchen, and let me access the spices without rummaging in a cupboard or drawer.

I fill them with bulk spices rather than filling them from spice jars. Different spices age at different rates, some spices I get a few tablespoons, some spices I get many tablespoons. It is much much cheaper to buy bulk spices by the tablespoon instead of buying jars at the grocery store.
I can refill both carousels (24 spices) for maybe $8. This keeps my spices fresh and my spending is 1/20th of what it would cost me at the store buying jars.

I use the 1/4 teaspoon dial quite a lot. For some things it isn't perfect (nice fluffy rubbed sage for example can be a little off) but for many spices it is perfect.

The directions say to not store salts in them. Just like in a small jar, once opened the salts will absorb moisture and become hard. Garlic salt and garlic powder always harden on me in the jar, I don't put them in this rack. It can't perform miracles. I always close everything tightly, my wife doesn't, guess what happens if the top or bottom door is not shut properly.... It also helps to fully seat the dispenser fully on the rack- that way the bottom has the 'seal' of being locked in the rack, and then the bottom door is also closed.

I have not had a big problem with moisture and most spices. This will depend a little bit upon where you live- I lived in the Pacific Northwest of the USA- 42 sunny days a year, rain or clouds the rest, and of course- lots of humidity. You will always have more trouble with spices and moisture in that environment.

I just broke one dial, after 10 years of use. I emailed the company, and they have replacement dispensers available to me for a very small cost.

I'm posting this review as I looked up my 10-year-old Amazon order to find the manufacturer, and I wanted to share my very positive and tested experience with this product.

--Review Updated---
! See new information at the end of the review !!

>-----BEGIN ORIGINAL REVIEW June 26, 2013----->
So I wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered this thing. I mean, if it worked as advertised it would be a great addition to my kitchen, but if the reviews I had been reading turned out to be true, then I was sure to be disappointed. Negative reviews included that they leak, and are cheaply made.

So I just got mine, and so far I haven't had much problem. Of course I will be updating this review because I am not so sure about some points, but overall I am pleasantly surprised.

First of all I will address the filling of these spice containers (as this is the first thing one does after washing them out and letting them dry.

Filling them was not super easy at first. If you are like me, you have all sorts of bottles and jars of spice of all sizes and shapes. Some tins even. Some can spill right in, but that is rarely the case. I tried a funnel at first, but because of the way the funnel sits in the top (not straight), that was more trouble than it was worth. I was thinking that I could try a larger funnel, but that just made the problem worse. The solution for me was to cut a strip of paper (I used heavy bristol sketch paper) an a shape that is narrower on one end and wider on the other end. Folding this in half I ended up with a perfect little spice chute that made the containers a breeze to fill up with no spillage. One thing to note is that the container might seem full, but there is a lip twords the back of the spice container near the top that prevents it from being filled up all the way at first. Give the container a good shake with the lid sealed to let it settle then top it the rest of the way off.

Next lets talk about the construction quality.

This set was not exactly what I would consider expensive. At the same time it is fair to expect a product to live up to the basic requirements of the description no matter the price. I think this does that (so far). None of the containers are leaking, nor do any of them seem either mis-aligned or not sealed properly. I get a satisfying "click" when I replace the top. I have not been juggling with them or anything so I cannot speak to hard use yet, but so far they seem pretty adequate. I do not have a mess by or near my spice rack. They do not feel like they are made of solid gold, but I think they feel equal to their price, and so far they live up to the advertised claims on that front.

And then the "Patented Dispenser Dial" Thingy.

This is where I deducted one star. This might be a case of me not completely understanding the mechanics of the dispensing technique yet, but I feel like more than a quarter TSP is being dispensed per click. I have no actual scientific measurements to back this up, and I could be wrong. Also, there is a "door" thing below each dispenser that keeps the door shut between servings. This door prevents leaks and also completes the seal for storage. It makes sense, but there are a couple of issues with this current design. One is that if the dial is turned while this door is closed, spice will back-up. Meaning that if you open the door in this case, spice will come out regardless of if you are ready for it. NBD, but not something I expected. Also the door prevents one-handed operation as you have to hold the dispenser and open the door with your other hand to get it rolling. This is no big deal. If the item is indeed dispensing the correct quantity per "click" of the wheel, none of things are of issue to me. Personally, I am not sure there is a way to improve this that I can think of.

Included Labels

The labels that are supplied with the device are, well, stupid. They are in some space-age font that looks like it came from a free font site. I do graphics, so maybe this is a thing no one else will mind, but the labels to me look like subway signs from the year 2100. Like they are trying way too hard to be futuristic. Also, if you have some offbeat spice names or custom blends, these labels wont cut it. I got a Dymo Letratag Plus Personal Label Maker, LT-100T DYMO Letratag Plus Personal Label Maker, LT-100T (1733013) with it so I could add my own labels with my own custom names. There are some blank labels included, so you could just get away with a sharpie, but these things look cool, and my handwriting and a sharpie would not really sit well on the design front I think.

Overall:

Although these dispensers are not perfect in every way, overall I think they are more than satisfactory, and an attractive and functional solution for spice storage and use. And besides the labels, they look pretty cool.

>----- END REVIEW June 26, 2013 ----->

>----- START UPDATES July 21, 2013 ----->
Link added to Dymo Letratag Plus Personal Label Maker, LT-100T DYMO Letratag Plus Personal Label Maker, LT-100T (1733013)

About the dispenser knob and 1/4 Teaspoon per click:

I have tested if the device actually dispensed the advertised amount of 1/4 Tsp per click of the knob. I have found that it does for the most-part. If dealing with a powder/fine spice these spice jars do dispense 1/4 teaspoon as log as the dispenser is held upright. If held at a strange angle or more than 35 degrees it might not despence the full amount IF the jar is not completely full.

In instances where dealing with bulky spices (say whole cloves) the measurement is about as accurate as measuring spoons. Not very I guess. It would be like measuring a spoon full of twigs if you can imagine that.

About Construction:

As I mentioned in before my edits, these bottles are not more durable than the price suggests. I still hold to this statement for the most-part, with a small deviation. The price would lead one to believe that these things must be pretty crappy. I am happy to report that they are not. They still do not feel like they are made from stainless steel, but they are quite sturdy and dependable. They are solid. I will add that the durability does not lie in the material as much as the overall design of the product. They are designed quite cleverly, and because of the thought that went into the design, we find that these devices snap snugly, do not leak (zero leaks out of 12 with heavy use over one month), and have a bottom "hatch" that secures the dispensing area after use. I still feel that these items are worth the small price. As a matter of fact, I tend to think that I got a really good deal. If a very similar item was found in a local housewares store, I am almost positive that the price would be well beyond what I paid here on Amazon. They are really that good.

End Result:

I am upgrading my review from four stars to five. I am that pleased with them.

I read the reviews on this product and as always went right to the negative ones to see what may be it’s faults. After reading one that said they did know how to put seasonings in it without spilling it, basically was too lazy to hang it up, and then reading all the good reviews and viewing the pictures, I decided to purchase this. Talk about space saving and beautiful. This spice rack is amazing to say the least. After making sure the vents at the bottom were closed, I just simply poured my spices in without a single spill. I did encounter one problem where one of my seasonings leaked from the front, but easily resolved by making sure the facing was secured. I really had no intention of hanging this up, but I found a spot in my kitchen that was perfect right next to my stove and it has space for me to add at least two more stackers. I attached pictures. Mounting this was very simply and very secure that I am not at all worried about adding more weight to it. If I could give it more stars I would. I’m buying two more today.

I love this! I just bought my second one to stack! Yes, it’s fully stackable if you read and follow the directions. I love the color (bronze gold is what I went with) and I love the functionality and uniformity of it. I will say, they don’t click in to place that firmly, so if you have little hands hands around or clumsy adults, the containers might fall out from time to time. Also, maybe it said somewhere, but I didn’t read it... to use the premeasurement feature, you click once, then open the a lot at the bottom to release the amount. I just kept turning mine because nothing was coming out, so I need to keep that in mind the next time I want a 1/4 exactly. LOVE IT!

I do a lot of cooking in a small kitchen and I find this to be functional and it looks nice. It is easy to use on a daily basis. It is also easy to clean. I started out with one and then got a second.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 7. 25 x 7. 5 x 3 inch
  • Made of durable plastic with beautiful champagne satin finishes
  • Features 8 spice bottles, each holds 3. 5 oz. And automatically measures 1/4 tsp. With each click, shakes and pours!
  • Includes rotating base and 16 spice labels for easy organization (spices not included)
  • Double stacks or mounts under cabinets for easy storage

Description

If you like spicing your dishes up with flavor, you're in need of a convenient spice storage system. The Elite auto-measure spice professional features eight 3. 5 oz. Spice bottles on a rotating base. Choose to Either shake or pour out your spices depending on your need, and automatically measure out 1/4 tsp. With each click for simple and precise measuring. This spice storage system Double stacks or mounts under cabinets for premium storage and includes 16 spice labels for easy sorting and organization. Witness the space-saving functionality of this useful tool.



I received this as a gift. It organizes my spices cleanly. It is easy to use. A label maker works well for spices that do not have a label.

I have 3 of these; got two that I stacked and got another one recently through Amazon. The pluses - it's attractive, it comes with 3 dispense options: 1/4 tsp., spoon, and sprinkle. They provide labels. The downside is that they are not airtight. Garlic powder and especially onion powder will not just cake - it will harden into one big lump. The green spices (such as Rosemary and Dill) will turn brown if you are not diligent in closing all openings, and even then they will start to turn if you don't use the herb/spice frequently enough. If you go through herbs and spices rather quick, then it may not be an issue, but for spices you use infrequently, you may not want to fill it all the way up. I was torn between 3 & 4 stars, because I was disappointed that they weren't airtight. But I go through spices fairly quickly, and other spice racks are much less attractive and take up more real estate on my counter than I want to sacrifice.

Liked this carousel so much we have brought another, considering they are recommended to stack together! Had no idea we had so many spices! I do wish however there was a better way for the little window to be better held in place. The gold/bronze plastic 'cover' came off one of the cassettes and the window fell straight out. I haven't attempted to pull apart another to inspect so may just be a one-off incident.

I have a number of these. They stack nicely on top of each other. They keep your spices nice and organized for easy locating. The older versions I had were white, but this one arrived in black, even though the description says white. I would have taken star off for this discrepancy except I like how they change the dial and the bottom of the spice holder for dispensing of the spices. I used to worry that the plastic bottom seal was going to break. It seems much more secure now. I have received numerous compliments as to how these look.

I bought 2 of them and two of the containers were broken. I reported it and they sent me new replacements immediately and didn't ask me to send the broken ones back. I have one on a shelf inside the cabinet for the spices I have but use the least. They rotate nicely to get to the one I want. And I have one on the kitchen counter top with the spices I would use in our RV, so the handle will be nice for that purpose as I can just grab it and take along on our RV trips. The bottom closure for dispensing is a little hard to operate but may be my arthritic hands and short fingernails causing the problem. Very well thought out as you can spoon out, shake, or dispense 1/4 teaspoons worth at a time. Really like these!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment